Monday, January 15, 2007

www.so.damn.busy.com

In college, I got headaches a lot. I guess it was because I was overwhelmed. I'm a very organized person and having things hanging over my head got to me. No matter how much you try, you can never catch up on homework.

After college, I started working as a copy editor. This has been the job for me because I don't have to bring work home with me. When I leave at the end of the day, the work is done until I come back next time. I pretty much stopped getting migraines.

So, going back in time, I never really had hobbies. I wanted hobbies, but nothing piqued my interest enough for me to stick with it. Until I discovered sewing a few years ago. I love sewing so much that it's all I want to do. I sometimes sew until I'm exhausted and then I go to bed and have Burger Chef Syndrome all night.

Burger Chef Syndrome (n): When you do something repetitively and then try to go to bed and can't sleep because you keep dreaming about it. You toss and turn and have nightmares all night about ____. (Fill in the blank with such things as playing Super Mario Brothers, working at Burger Chef [my husband made up this term after developing syndrome at said job], sewing.)

So back to my story, I found this hobby, and it led me to to seek out fashion design. I basically wanted to learn to make my own clothes from my own designs. But maybe I want to change careers someday. More on that later. I now take fashion design at Santa Fe Community College.

I'm making some clothes and selling them at www.burstofhappiness.etsy.com. I'm also doing some freelance editing/writing work.

My point is that my to do list now looks like this for each week:
1. work 40 hours at main job
2. work on freelance job
3. go to school (9 hours)
4. do homework
5. work on my patterns, sew them
6. work out
7. clean my house
8. spend time with my husband. This really should be first on the list. He's the most important thing in my life.

I haven't been this busy in years! I kind of liked the peacefulness my life had before, but it's getting exciting now. I guess I'll just stock up on Excedrin and see where life takes me!

No comments: