Friday, February 16, 2007

You know that Hefty commercial where they say "wimpy, wimpy, wimpy"? Well, that's me they're talking about.

Between classes in SF yesterday, I went to the movies. At the time I arrived, I had two award-winning choices, one of which I can't remember and "Norbit." I chose the one I can't remember -- wait, I just remembered: "The Messengers." I could have just deleted that type and wrote it in, but I didn't.

I chose "The Messengers" because it started 20 minutes earlier than "Norbit." In the theater, there was me, one man farther up front and a bunch of vatos in the way back. The whole time before the movie and during the previews they were running around, making a ruckus, making their phones ring, hollering at each other. Once in a while, one would say, "Shhhhh," and another would scream, "Who the &*%$ told me to Shhhhh?!?"

Then two of them ran up and sat farther up. For some reason, a worker came in and got them and I thought they were kicking them out, but they didn't. The guys just moved to the back. Then they started acting up again and when a worker came back in, they all got quiet until the worker left again.

I decided I wanted to go watch "Norbit" instead of dealing with this all through the movie. Because they seemed the types to pull a gun if you confronted them, I decided one of us had to leave and it was easier if it were me. For some reason, at the time it seemed like I should make up a reason to leave. I don't know why I couldn't just walk out (I had to pass them). I thought, "I'll pick up my phone and pretend I got a call and am politely stepping out to take it (not that these people would understand that) and then I'll go into `Norbit.'"

And so I did. And because of people like me, people like them get to continue acting like they do.

I wish we had a polite side of a country and an asshole side of the country. Then, all the jerks could live together and ruin their own lives, and polite people could live happily ever after.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Boy ... it must have been reeeeally bad if it made "Norbit" look like the perfect solution.

Robyn said...

No kidding! I thought that big, fat lady looked amusing on the commercials, and sometimes she was, but it was pretty bad. At times, though, a super-nerdy black man is very funny.