Thursday, March 22, 2007

Crash and burn

Yesterday, I had a long day at work. I was covering for someone else, so I got off early at 7 p.m. I went to the store and bought some supplies and then went home to make soup. Some time later, the soup was looking lovely. I thought it needed about 5 more minutes of simmering, so I ran upstairs to grab my robe. Then I saw the computer and remembered that I had needed to ftp the index page of my Web site, Burst of Happiness.

For a few weeks, I'd been blaming my brother, who hosts my Web site, for the fact that I couldn't ever get a connection to the server. Meanwhile, I noticed that my ftp program was having increasingly more trouble starting up. I finally decided to uninstall and then reinstall it. Now it worked beautifully (so I guess it was my problem, not my brother's), but when I reuploaded the main page, it was blank.

I went to the html file on my computer and it was EMPTY. Everything was deleted out of it. I have no idea how this could have happened, but it was just gone. I thought I had one last chance -- right before I reuploaded the page, I had been looking at the old version online. I could hit the back button till I got there and then hit "source code" and copy and paste it. Alas, I had closed the browser and reopened it since then. Therefore, I have to start all over writing it.

To make things better, I forgot all about the soup and when I went downstairs, all the liquid was cooked out. I almost started to cry. Somehow, I did salvage it by adding more water, and it tasted pretty good.

No comments: