Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Too lazy to write my own blog item

I went to the dentist yesterday and found out I have a cavity. My husband said, "What, are you 10?" Well, "mister I haven't had a cavity in 50 years," I never had a cavity until I became an adult. This is because my mother didn't let us eat crap. Then I rebelled as soon as I became old enough to say, "You're not the boss of me" and not get smacked. Not that my mother beat us.

Anyway, I have a cavity. And it reminded me of my brother's blog item about his recent dentist visit. Here it is, reposted without permission:

Forgive me Doctor for I have sinned, it's been 10 years since my last visit.

Went to the dentist today for "Phase 2" of my cleaning. (Phase one was a cake walk as they only used blunt objects like jackhammers and mallets & chisels).

During my cleaning the nice hygenist said somethings like, "Your gonna go home and eat a steak tonight, or better yet, some liver." Me (with my mouth full) managed a "hugggh?" She replied something along the lines of, "Well with all this blood loss and all." Now, up until this point I thought things had been going pretty good... When she removed the pointy metal things from my mouth I said (concerned), "It's bleeding alot?" She said, "Oh Yeah! Can't you taste it?"

At that point I quietly said, "No." (probably with a worried look on my face) and kind of just sunk back in the chair, stared at the Van Gogh poster on the ceiling, and tried to make myself zone out.

She offered to numb me up (and it was pretty painful) but I decided to tough it out because I like to avoid needles whenever possible. (YES, even though the pain from the needle would have been nothing compared.) Throughout the process she stopped a few times and said, "Are you SURE you don't want anisthetic?" After declining she said, "Ready to finish this?" and I said "Bring it ON! And don't stop until we're done."

I figured if I could zone out for the rest of the session I'd be fine. I guess she knew my strategy because at one point she said, "Are you in your happy place?" and I simply replied, "Ugh-Hugh" feeling like a helpless little kid.

Now, I like my dentist alot. I am very comfortable with them and trust them completely. I've yet to be nervous when going there (which is a BIG change from my childhood) They have magic tools that clean your teeth without most of the scraping I had to deal with 10 years ago. Unfortunately I don't get to dig in the cardboard treasure chest for a reward when I'm done. Man, I used to love getting crappy little toys from there.

I'm the kind of person who would rather get a painful situation overwith instead of stopping every now and then for a rest. I would prefer not to even stop for the spit suction thingy. Lets just take care of business then mop up the blood or hose down the room when were done.

(And the zoning out thing really did work... at one point I snapped out of it and had forgotten what was going on. Then I was like, DAMN... and tried to get back into it.)




(((I'd like to know what those magic tools are. My dentist still uses pointy scrapers)))

No comments: