Friday, April 13, 2007

I'm in business!

It's official: Burst of Happiness is now a real business.

I went to the N.M. tax department and then to what I think is City Hall, though I'm not really sure. It was cold and rainy and I didn't look at the official building name.

Anyway, one thing I've often felt about New Mexico is that people here are downright rude. There's a large part of the population here who think that customer service involves ignoring someone for as long as possible and then looking them up and down and giving them a stare that implies, "What the *&%$ do you want?" Sometimes I just stand there until they say "Can I help you." I am then happy to respond even though it's usually not said in a very polite manner.

Why am I talking about this? Because when you deal with the government, you're expecting the worst of the worst. You're expecting New Mexico attitude times 100. But out of the three government employees I dealt with today, all were incredibly nice, helpful and friendly. And I hardly waited in any lines. I was shocked at how smoothly everything went and how friendly the workers were. TGIF, perhaps? I don't know, but it was all-in-all a pleasant experience!

No comments: