Sunday, December 28, 2008

Chicken

Remember how I was going to make a quilt for the first time? And how I thought I could just borrow a book from the library and figure it out? Well, I got scared. Of what, I really don't know. It's not like a quilt can up and bite me. But I just wasn't sure where to begin. I decided to sign up for the UNM Continuing Ed class I had wanted to take this fall. It's again on Thursday nights in the spring semester, which is perfect since I am off on Thursdays and Fridays. Homework involves sewing! I LOVE homework! It's a 10-week class, and for the price I think you really get your money's worth.

quilting

I really haven't been sewing at all lately. I've been so busy -- it may have been since mid-November that I haven't sewn. I took a bunch of fabric in my stash and cut it up to make "ditty bags" for foster kids. Basically, a little fabric bag for them to keep their stuff in as they are shuffled about. I cut a bunch of them out, but I haven't had a chance to sew them. To be honest, I'm not even sure I remember how I'd figured out I'd put them together. I eventually plan to get around to this project. Foster children are people I have a soft spot for. I kind of wish I could care for some, but my life is not set up for children right now. And, plus, I'm not sure what Mark would think of that.

I also never finished a skirt I was making and I still hope to enter some garment in the state fair next year. I wanted to design it myself, too. I meant to do it this year, but the fair snuck up on me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday was Mark's birthday. Since it's so close to Christmas, we usually celebrate on his birthday itself, no matter what day of the week, so it doesn't get mixed in with the other holidays. But his family was visiting other family and got back last night, so we're doing it a day late. Unfortunately, it's also our Christmas celebration with his family, so he doesn't get a special day all to himself. On the plus side, I get presents! I think I'll bake the beer bread mix he got me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been FREEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZINNNG here the last few days. I understand that even the high yesterday didn't get above the freezing mark. I still insisted on wearing my new leather jacket, and just piled on hats, gloves and a scarf. I don't believe I would have been warm in any jacket I put on, anyway. Mark thought I was nuts, but what's he doing giving me a red leather jacket in the middle of winter and thinking I won't wear it till the weather warms a little? Right!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention that my mom got me these adorable strawberry earrings from etsy.com seller insanejellyfish for Christmas.

Strawberry earrings

She just happens to be a fellow Albuquerquean!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan to get back on the money-saving train now. I haven't been quite as good as I had wanted to be. (After all, I needed some black leather gloves to go with my new red leather jacket, right? Kohl's had them on sale for $17!) Also, it's time to lose a few pounds. Not many, just a few. We took the Total Gym out of the box, but I don't want to go on the treadmill or exercise bike in the garage because it's freezing and dreary in there. In the winter, I'm better off at the community center gym. I'm also continuing to prepare food at home, which takes a lot of planning. I need to go check out some recipes and do some grocery shopping tonight.

No comments: